Friday, August 02, 2013

Welcome to Melbourne

After 7 long hours, we landed safely at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport. We were assigned with a mobile gate, meaning, we had to take the stairs.  We were parked far from the main gates so we were ferried by buses from the "taxi" area to the main terminal.  The cold Melbourne air (temperature was 8C) greeted us as we walked from the stairs to the bus. Sarap!

Melbourne Tullamarine Airport
I knew I was in Melbourne when most immigration officials would ask "How're ya doin?" before checking peoples' passports.  Mine didn't ask me anything.  She just smiled. 

After immigration, I took my baggage from Carousel 3.  The very important item - the toy bike - was at the oversized baggages.  I declared food items in my customs form but upon learning that Im only bringing in left over siopao and airplane food, the customs officials immediately directed me to the exit without checking my bag.  Maybe he thought checking the siopao was just a waste of time :)

Ate and Andrew welcomed me to Melbourne with a cup of coffee. Sweet! 

A hot cup of latte to welcome me to Melbourne on a cold Friday morning
Doncaster was about 30 plus kilometers away from the airport so we drove for about 30 minutes or so.  Traffic was light.  Weather was nice.  It was sunny and cold. Ah..it was perfect. 

Andrew got off at the train station so it was Ate's turn to be on the wheel.  It was my first time to try Ate's driving haha  She was very very cautious. 

Granny was at the door when we arrived.  After giving each other a hug, we headed to the living room where the kids were watching Play School.   They recognized me as the Tita from Skype and gave me a hug.  Eric was asking where Lola was.  He thought Lola was coming too.  Sweet kid.

When I see them in Skype, they seem to have grown so much already.  But seeing them in person, they're still these tiny young kids.  Gabby has changed a lot since December.  She doesn't cry that much and she even gave me a hug.

Eric talks a lot.  He toured me around the house and showed me my room.  He told me, "This is your room Tita.  You have a mirror in here."  Sigh.  Kids are really adorable even with their simple gestures.


Eric and Gabby playing with their toy wands straight from my bag
 
Gabby with her hair band and Eric with his spring toy
After unpacking, I had a nap because I was already feeling dizzy from lack of sleep. 

I woke up around 130pm, which was still 1130 in my body clock, and had pumpkin soup and sandwich for lunch.

Ate and I went to the grocery after.  I got an unfamiliar fruit - tamarillo, which I learned was sour.  I didn't even know how to eat it and had to google to know the proper way of eating it.  Maasim nga!

Tamarillos


We prepared beef casserole for dinner.

Eric was talking a lot during dinner.  He had his Woolworths magazine with him and was leafing through the pages.  He knows how to read numbers so when you ask him how much a load of bread for example is, he would say, "5 dollars, please".  He knows that peas are for cooking, Vegemite is for sandwich, you put celery in your meat, and stuff.  Such a clever boy.

After dinner and preparing the kids for bed, I had cuddle time with Gabby while watching Play School.  I love the feel of her tiny body on me.  So comforting.  She also knows how to smile for the camera now.

And that's how my day one in Melbourne went :)




No comments: