Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ely and my friends


Image from web

It started with a simple “Gi!!! J” from whatsapp.

In an instant, I knew there was something big going on in Manila.

This was followed by my friend telling me that I should be there, sharing the moment with them and asking me to sign in at Skype.

With that, the excitement crept in. What could it be?  Is it about lovelife? Did one of my friends decide on a date for her wedding? Did someone get engaged?  Did someone get a promotion? 

Upon seeing three of my friends in Skype, the usual high-pitched greetings came in. Damn, I miss them so much! I didn’t even ask how each one was.  I went straight to “So, what’s up? What’s the big deal?”

And they kind of swayed away and told me short stories about other things.  But I wanted to know what the emergency meeting was for!  They told me to look at the person at the end of the screen – which I thought was the one at the end of the table. But there was none. So I thought that maybe one of them had someone special with them, and she wanted to introduce him to me.  But there was none. 

Then the camera was passed to another friend who told me to look closely at the person sitting at the adjacent table.  But, bummer, the video quality was BAD.  So I couldn’t see who that person was. 

Finally, after many attempts, I learned that the person was Ely Buendia.

Fifteen years ago, I was head over heels in love over Ely Buendia and the Eraserheads.  Until now, I love the band. But I no longer go gaga over them. 

So my friends were surprised that I didn’t jump up and down upon knowing that it was him.  So I told them that I was really touched at their gesture, but I was more excited to see them than Ely.

The preceding days before that call, I was so down.  But that call made such a huge impact.  It highlighted the magic of presence and friends.  Just a simple act of thoughtfulness is heartmelting. And having a (probably) 15-minute chat is enough to refill my love tank.

It’s not Ely who uplifted my spirits. It was my friends.  I love them.

No comments: