Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bibingka-ing on a Saturday

Last Saturday, Mitchie and I went to Dini's place to cook Bibingka - a native Filipino dish.  She has been on this cooking craze for quite a few months now and I have been a happy guinea pig to try some of her experiments.

So she found this recipe online and asked me if it was Filipino.  Upon confirmation, she invited me and Mitchie to her place to try it.

And we came up with this. 

Source: diniblini

And I have to say, it was good :)  It came close to how the native recipe is done in the province (they cook a different version in Manila).  The only difference was 1) it doesnt have that smoky flavor, and 2) the topping didn't achieve that caramelised texture particular to probinsya-made bibingka.  But who cares.

Its main ingredient is glutinous rice, so it's quite heavy.  But we managed to finish about 1/3 of it while watching Lars and the Real Girl.

I love Saturdays like that.

No comments: