Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pancake experiment

I've been experimenting on pancakes for the past few months.  My love affair with pancakes was a gradual process.  I wasn't particularly fond of it when I was younger because I found it too sweet.  Back then, the only pancake recipe I know was the ready-to-cook kind.  A premix sort of thing where you just have to add egg and water and voila, an instant pancake batter!

And then, I fell in love with crepes - a cousin of pancakes.  A previous colleague's sister owns a cafe which specializes in crepes, Cafe Breton.  One time, she invited us to the place and had us try some of their bestsellers.  Ang sarap!  I was in crepe heaven.  So that started my fondness with crepes, waffles, and pancakes.

One day, my friend Diniblini invited me to her place to try this recipe she saw online.  It was my first time to make pancakes from scratch!  Yeah I know, I was clueless to how easy it was.  And it tasted way better :) Had I known that it was that easy, man....

Banana pancakes with lemon cocounut curd and bacon 

So this is the banana pancakes that we tried.  It was GOOD and the lemon curd was WAAAY BETTER than the ones I have tried in restaurants.  So I promised to make one myself.

My version of pancake with lemon coconut curd

Which I did.  It was good but err...I put too much lemon juice :D But I was proud of myself for making this because I didn't have the proper utensils but with a bit of resourcefulness, it turned out well.  The method required cooking the curd in a heatproof pan but I used my glass lunchbox instead and placed in on top of a makeshift steamer.  I thought that the glass will not get hot as compared to a regular pan, but I was wrong with my guess. So I was worried that the curd will not be cooked as how it was supposed to but in the end, it did :)

Pancake with grape sauce

This was made because I had a terrible waffle at one of the places in Dhoby Gaut.  I forgot the name of the place but their waffle was filled with whipped cream on top and extremely sweet raspberry jam. Major fail.   Since I had grapes which has been sitting in the fridge for about two weeks I think, I thought of making grape sauce.  I also experimented on the pancake, put all sorts of stuff on it: self-raising flour, baking soda, baking powder.  I wished I didnt haha It was chewy, seemed like a very thick crepe.


I made this one just this morning. I still had a lot of banana so I mashed it and mixed it into my usual pancake batter (plain flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt, milk, egg, butter).  I also added oatmeal in it. And it turned out good.  The buko shake was a result of my sister's recent obsession with her blender.

So if you're like me who's tired of store-bought pancake mixes, try making it from scratch.  It's easy and way better :)

I dont know what's happening but my photos turn out sideways when posted.

No comments: