Saturday, September 05, 2020

Goodbye...

 Yesterday was effectively my last day at work. I start clearing my leaves today until 23 October this year then Im officially jobless! 

Being with CFPR for 6+ years has been enriching. I've learned so much about teamwork, communications, management, friendship, politics, paying forward, and the list just goes on and on. This is actually my longest stint on a job. 

Saying goodbye is also kind of weird because firstly, we have been working from home since Mar and the lack of daily physical interactions reduced the work relationship into emails and videocalls which I feel takes out a bit of the connectedness that's present in physical interaction. The sort of connectedness that makes up workers and teammates as humans and not just workers. Online work in a lot of ways limits interactions into work-related matters and reduces the unplanned/unstructured interactions that bring about possibilities for friendship. I have cultivated friendships at work so I felt like saying goodbye virtually was not saying goodbye properly. 

Secondly, there has been several pseudo send-off meals with small groups of colleagues/friends and a virtual send-off from the Centre so it felt like there has been so many organized send-offs already to the point that my actual last day is sort of anticlimactic and repetitive. I had to send a goodbye email though for me to formally mark a closure in one aspect of my life.

Lastly, my actual last day is in October so in a way, I am still a staff and therefore saying goodbye at this point is too early? Hahaha I dont know. It's just so weird I guess because it doesnt fit the usual scenario, just like how 2020 is so weird. 

Send off gift from Nastassja which captured what I felt about the past 6 years of working in the Centre


No comments: