Sunday, April 02, 2017

2XU Half marathon


So this is my first non-academic medal.  After 4 months of training which includes waking up at 6am on a weekday to run, waking up early on Saturdays (!) to run longer distances, contemplating whether it's best to "listen to your body" or do that "mind over matter" thing when aches and pains begin to manifest, this is what I got. A huge and heavy 21k medal.

A couple of days before the run, I couldn't sleep properly.  I was a bit anxious about my knees giving up because it hasn't been in its best form.  My goal was to finish the marathon running and I was agonizing over the possibility of it not happening and months' worth of training being thrown into waste because of my body giving up on me. Yes, I could totally imagine myself being this guy.

I know. I could be totally depressive for no reason at all
But well, if my body gives up on me, that's beyond my control, right?  I mean, I could only do so much.  I knew that I've trained well, I did the required preparations and that's enough.  So I let it go and just told myself to just go with the flow.

The day before the run, I had a meeting with my org and the food in that meeting helped with my much-needed carbo loading.  And also, I had a good excuse for eating a loooot of lechon, steak and nilaga.  I mean, Im running 21k the following morning!

So I set my alarm for 230am and slept before 10pm.

But my body had other plans.  I woke up at 130.  And wasn't able to go back to sleep since then.  So instead of turning endlessly on my bed, I got up at 2, took a bath, did a bit of stretching and had breakfast.  M and I left the house at 330.

We were trying to go for the first wave which starts at 430 but traffic was horrible, so we didn't make it on time.  We went for the 3rd wave instead.

3rd wave started at 450am
When the gunshot went off, people started dashing.  M and I opted to just start easy as what's usually advised in training plans.  We didn't want to get tired easily.

M and I chatting. Goodluck finding us here
The weather was perfect.  It was a bit cool and the ground was wet.  We started from the flyer, went to Kallang, headed towards Gardens by the Bay East all the way to East Coast Park, then came back through Marina Barrage, Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay, Makansutra and finished right by the entrance of the flyer.

21km route. Something obviously was wrong with my steps counter because it only registered 13 steps which is probably good for just 10km or so

Personally, the first 5km was difficult for me in the sense that I felt that it went on for a really long time.  No, I wasnt tired but I just felt that I was already running for a long long time and yet, the road markers tell me that such is not the case.  I was also surprised to see people walking within the first 5km.  I heard that a lot of people really walk towards the end but I wasn't expecting it at that point.

The best part for me was from 5-10km.  I was warmed up, not tired and just enjoying the experience.  There was an old man, probably in his 70s, doing the 21km and I have so much admiration for him.

The East Coast Park was another difficult part for me because well, it also felt neverending! My only motivation at that point was knowing that we're getting a banana on the way back.  I mean, eye on the prize, right? (That motivational quote doesnt even motivate me most of the time).

After the 10thkm, I could feel a bit of tiredness on my legs but they were still fine.  By the time we reached Marina Barrage (about 15km), I could already feel a bit of pain.  Doing a bit of stretching helped. M was also at this point doing a run/walk.  By the 18th km, I said enough.  I care more about my knees than my goal of finishing it running.  So I started to walk.  I would run once in a while but the pain is well, a real pain the ass (or in this case leg) so I would go back to walking.

Needless to say, I walked the last 3km of it.  Of course, I went back to running when I was at the finish line because, who wouldnt?

Give me my shirt!

Who thought of these cold towels?  This is pure genius! 

mob of runners
Getting the medal is quite unceremonial and anticlimactic.  One just needs to queue for the proper category (21, 10, 5) and gets the finisher shirt first, followed by a bottle of  isotonic drink, a banana, and yeah, that medal.

That day, I realized how good cold pocari sweat tasted like.  It's heaven (ok, if you're running)!

So will I do this again?  Probably not too soon.

One thing that I realized about running is that, it's a very individualistic endeavor.  Im glad that M and I went together because otherwise, I would have been so bored! Imagine waking up early in the morning, going to the race venue, check-in, run, get your shirt/medal/whatever, and then leave. There's no social interaction unless one is part of a team or runs with a group already.

Also, I realized that Im someone who enjoys the journey more than the destination.  I made it because I enjoyed the training (even if I would start grudgingly) and discovering new routes from running is really fun. I wouldn't have finished it if I hated the process.

So yeah, do that 21km.

No comments: