Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Day 1

This started from a chat with a friend while resting after our dragonboat "competition" (yay, our boat won!).  The competition was in the afternoon and that morning, she even went for a half marathon.  We were all gushing at the amount of energy that she has when she casually mentioned, "oh, i just walked half of it". Apparently she ran the first 12k and walked the remaining 9k and still managed to finish 21k within the 4-hour cut-off time.

It was an inspiring moment for my friend M and I! There's no doubt that we could do 12k because we run that distance in McRitchie once in a while and walking the rest doesnt seem to be a bad idea.  I know we should set our goals high, I mean shoot for the stars and land on the moon, right?  But then again, there's also the Milo tagline which says, great things start from small beginnings :)

So the moment we got home, we registered for the half marathon category of the 2XU run in April 2017.

Today is Day 1 of training.  The goal is to do 3 runs in a week, 2 days of cross-training, and 2 rest days. This we have to do weekly, until the half marathon day.

Today we were supposed to do 3 miles, and without consulting Google, I thought that such would roughly translate to about 6k so we went for it. It turns out we only needed to do 4.8k.

The run was just for 6k and took me an hour :( The rest was because I forgot to switch off my app right after the run
It took me 60 minutes to finish 6k.  Pretty slow I think, considering that there was no uphill terrains. But I still have 19 weeks left.  Plenty of room for improvement.

Let's see how my muscles are tomorrow. And let's see how far I can go, not in terms of distance, but in terms of willpower and discipline.

No comments: