Sunday, November 06, 2016

Going Green

These past two weeks, my acid reflux has been acting up again so Im currenty under a deliberate attempt to eat more greens to reduce my acid.  A lot of websites and blogs are suggesting that eating raw vegetables and fruits, a lot of which are alkaline and alkaline forming, help the body get to its balanced state.

On ordinary days, I eat a lot of vegetables.  My friends from my previous work knew that if we're eating out and Im delegated to choose the dishes, there would always be vegetables in it.  But I also eat a lot of meat which, to someone with an acid reflux, is not helpful.  So eating my vegetables with less or, in some circumstances, no meat at all is a punishment.  Im not really the kind of person who deprives myself of food or meat.

But with the determination to get rid myself of this chronic cough from the reflux and for general wellness as well, I have been eating like a cow, with all my meals mainly green colored and healthy-looking.

Mixed greens and quinoa with grilled chicken breast and parsley dressing

Oven-baked kale and tofu with avocado
They're both easy to make. For the first one, just put salad greens together with cooked quinoa and top it with grilled chicken.  I marinated the chicken in lemon and olive oil before grilling which I regret because it left the chicken a bit dry.  Next time, I'll just rub salt and olive oil to the meat instead to maintain its juice.

The parsley dressing is surprisingly good.  It's a combination of parsley, mint, garlic, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and honey all blended together.

The second one is a no brainer.  Just tear the kale into bite sized pieces, sprinkle it with salt and olive oil and pop it into the oven until it wilts.  For the tofu, you can either fry it or pop it into the oven too.  Mix them together with diced avocado for a creamy taste and you'll have a filling lunch.

I wont lie, it takes some time to get used to 'clean' taste of healthy food.  But once you move past the grudge (haha) of eating non-sauteed food or non-stir-fried food with no sauce, your taste buds will adjust and slowly, you'll appreciate the taste of healthy food and tell yourself that 'hey, they're not so bad at all".

No comments: