Friday, December 16, 2016

Simbang Gabi Day 2 : St Stephen

I left work 30 minutes later than planned since I was showing some friends around the campus.

I tried taking a faster route, transiting from yellow to blue and then green lines. In my attempt to arrive early, I got off at the wrong station, and walked towards the wrong direction when I got off the bus. But I was still smiling. Maybe God was teaching me something.

I arrived at the church about 720pm and I was no longer expecting to get a good seat. But lo and behold, the church wasnt yet full and seats were aplenty!

Church of St Stephen

The choir was very pop, sang mosty mushy christmas songs.
The gospel today was about the genealogy of Jesus, all 42 generations (very patriarchal).  I remember I would always dread today's gospel especially when I dont have a good seat because it is veeery loooong.

Today, I got to appreciate it more.  The priest was able to explain it's significance.  Of how Christ is a descendant of liars and whores.  The miracle of Christmas is beautiful for it brings Christ closer to us by becoming a man, and how much more closer other than by coming from a family of ordinary people, from a generation of imperfect families.


No comments: